HELPFUL BACTERIA MICROVIEWER
Examine each slide and study the description in the text folder. After studying each slide and the printed text, answer the questions for that slide.
- List 3 ways in which bacteria are helpful:
- What is a culture? ___________________________________________________
Slide 1: Bacteria of Decay
- Where do decay bacteria live? ______________________________
- Plants need _____________________ and ______________________ from the soil.
- Where does the soil get minerals from? _______________________________ and _________________________
- Bacteria break down or ______________________ dead organisms.
Slide 2: Bacteria of Fermentation
- These bacteria help break down food in the ______________________________
- Why would a company such as "Bright's" need this bacteria? ____________________________
Slide 3: Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria in the Soil
- Green plants need ________________________ to grow.
- These bacteria take _____________________ from the air and convert it into ______________________.
- Where are these bacteria found? _______________________________
Slide 4: Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria in a Nodule
- Describe a nodule: ______________________________________________________________
- List 3 plants with nodules: _________________________, ___________________________, _____________________.
- How do these bacteria save farmers money? _____________________________________________
Slide 5: Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria in the Roots
- Explain the partnership that exists between a legume and these bacteria:
Slide 6: Vinegar Bacteria
- What is the process called when bacteria convert sugar into vinegar? ______________________________
- What is the chemical name for vinegar? ______________________________
Slide 7: Cheese Bacteria
- Bacteria can affect the _______________________ and _______________________ of cheese.
Slide 8: Sour Milk Bacteria
- What shape do these bacteria have? ______________________________
- Name one dairy product in which these bacteria are found: ______________________